Honey, as we all know, comes from the relentless work of bees. It’s one of natures healthy foods that is truly all natural and it’s filled with antioxidants that help keep us healthy. Honey is also a wonderful source of natural energy and on top of that it has some pretty amazing healing powers.
First off, honey is a wonderful natural sweetener that I quite often use instead of sugar. But not only that, it is great for the skin when applied right on the skin. It’s amazing at what honey can do and how it can be used. Of course the best honey to use is raw honey. Here are some of the great qualities that can be found in honey:
• It has antiseptic properties
• It can be used as an emollient
• It’s a preservative
• It’s soothing to the skin, throat and stomach
• Encourages the growth of new skin cells when eaten
That’s just a few of the things that honey can do. Plainly put, honey is good for you no matter which way you look at it. We can thank the little bees for this heavenly treat. Here’s a few ways that I use honey in my life that I’d like to share with you.
I love to take some toast and then spread a little bit of ricotta cheese on the toast and then drizzle some honey on top of it. This makes for a really quick and easy breakfast or even a great snack when I get a little hungry later in the day.
I also like using my honey to make some great tasting homemade salad dressing. It takes just a couple of minutes to do. All I do is put equal amounts of honey, olive oil and balsamic vinegar into a jar. Put the lid on tight and then shake. When done mixing it I add some herbs and a little salt for added taste and then pour it over my salad. It really tastes great and is a very healthy alternative to store bought salad dressings.
I love peanut butter, however, honey makes it even better! Whenever I’m in the mood for a little sweetness and added energy boost, I just add a few tablespoons of honey to my peanut butter and what a wonderful tasting peanut butter the honey makes.
Here’s one of my favorite recipes that includes honey of course:
Chocolate Coconut Oat Bars
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
• 21/2 cups oatmeal
• 1 cup ground up almonds
• 1 cup coconut shredded and unsweetened
• 1/3 cup cocoa
• ½ cup of coconut oil
• ¼ cup of honey
• ½ maple syrup
• 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
• Preheat the oven to only 275° F
• Take a large bowl and add oats, almonds, coconut and the cocoa and mix well.
• Take a saucepan and mix together the coconut oil, maple syrup, honey together and heat over a medium heat and stir until everything is dissolved. Just don’t let it come to a boil. Now pour this over your dry items and stir until blended well.
• Let your mixture cool off just slightly. After it’s cool you can add the chocolate chips and stir them into the mixture.
• Take your mixture and press it into an 8 x 8 baking dish that is not greased.
• Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
• Let cool before slicing.
I hope you’ll try this great recipe, I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do.
I don’t only use honey as a healthy food item but I also often use it for a variety of different things. Here’s a few things I’ve discovered that you can use honey for:
• Honey facial – I just take and put a little honey on my fingers and then I gently rub it into my skin and continue to do so in circles. After that I wash the honey off with some warm water. That’s all there is to it. You’ll be surprised how your face will glow.
• Burn relief – Whenever I get a burn I immediately reach for some honey. Honey has anti-microbial properties and this is why it keeps infections away. It’s also very soothing to the skin.
• Hair treatment – I like to take about a ½ a cup of honey and massage it into my hair and let it sit there for about 20 minutes. I put on a shower cap or you can use a plastic bag if you want while letting it sit there. Yes, it can be kind of sticky, but, it’s well worth it. After the 20 minutes is up I shampoo and condition like always.
Honey is a wonderful gift from nature and I hope that this post has inspired you to use it more so you can reap all of the benefits that it has to offer.